DxO is billing this little gem as “The New Shape of Photography.” That might be a bit like calling yourself the “next Michael Jordan,” but I will say this… it is most definitely a new shape and they’ve definitely changed the conversation.
Let’s start with a simple fact: The number one camera company in the world is Apple. No argument. But, if we were to say that the iPhone 6+ camera is the best camera in the world… well, we’d have a big argument. In fact, the whole industry of cameras is one big argument. And that’s where DxO has brought things down to a murmur. The DxO ONE changes the conversation.
Imagine your iPhone with a 1” sensor and a 32mm (equivalent) lens generating a 20+ megapixel RAW file. That’s right…. I said a 20+ megapixel RAW file. Oh… and by the way, we’ll also toss in an f/1.8 -f/11 aperture with shutter selection from 1/8000 to 15s, ISO 100 to ISO 51200 and manual overrides all displayed on that big gorgeous iPhone Retina display. Do I have your attention? Would you like autofocus with single-shot, continuous and tap-to-focus options? How about metering mode choices of Spot, center-weighted or multi-zone?
Weighing less than 4 ounces and well under 3 inches tall, DxO ONE is built to fit in your pocket. They’ve used durable materials, including forged aircraft grade aluminum, blending modern design with a premium feel. It’s simply “trick!”
You simply connect DxO ONE to your iPhone to turn that big, beautiful screen into a big, beautiful viewfinder. Swivel and shoot … take great photos in any condition, at any angle. Everything is controlled by a simple iPhone and iPad app you download for free in the App Store. Browse your photos, change shooting modes, adjust shutter speeds, and access all the camera’s features from the iOS interface.
It has its own memory card and battery so it’s not going to drain your phone or steal its storage. Oh… and you can share your shots instantly, right from your phone.
Founded in 2003, and headquartered in Paris and San Francisco, DxO is a team of image scientists and engineers devoted to capturing and creating exceptional photography. Within the camera industry, DxO is known and respected for their deep knowledge on the science of image processing and for spending over a decade partnering with camera companies, other scientists, and academics. DxO create embedded technologies in use by the world’s leading camera and smartphone companies. Over 300 million cameras worldwide contain embedded DxO imaging software. In fact, DxOMark is the global standard for objectively grading image quality.
And now, the revolutionary DxO ONE, redefining what a connected camera can be.
I’ve had the good fortune to play with a DxO ONE for a couple of months now. I’m not going to lie… being a Beta unit, as to be expected, it was a little buggy. But I will tell you this, it absolutely delivers on its promise. I have been discreetly working it into my workflow, using it for personal fun, and I even used it on the job during the Belle Isle Grand Prix in Detroit.
You look at the images. You be the judge. As I said, DxO and the DxO ONE has changed the conversation.
• Price: $599
• Still Resolution (5406X3604)
• 1080p/30fps Video Resolution 720p/120fps
• 1" format
• Sensor Size: 13.2x8.8mm
• Sensor Type: CMOS - BSI
• Focal Length: 11.9mm (equivalent to 32mm in full frame)
• Lens cover: Integrated, sliding (on/off)
• Aperture: f/1.8 adjustable down to f/11 (6 blade iris)
• Shutter button: 2-stage
• OLED Settings display, touch control
• Iso Range: From ISO 100 to ISO 51200 (Hi 2)
• Shutter Speed: From 1/8000 to 15s
• Image Stabilization: Electronic (for video)
• Camera modes: Auto, Sports, Portrait, Landscape, Night, Program, Aperture Priority, Speed Priority, Manual, Selfie
• Video modes: 1080p (30 fps), 720p (120fps)
• File formats: .JPG, .DNG, .DxO (SuperRAW™), .MOV (H.264)
• Focus range: 20cm - infinity
• Autofocus: Contrast detect, using face-detection
• Focus modes: Single-shot, continuous, tap-to-focus
• Metering modes: Spot, center weighted, multi-zone
• Zoom: Digital 3x
• Micro USB port
• USB 2 (power charging, mass storage connection)
• Lightning connector: Retractable/collapsible, +/- 60º rotation
• Screen size: Varies, function of connected iDevice between 4” and 9.7”
• Screen resolution: Varies, function of connected iDevice between 727,040 and 3,145,728 dots
• Storage type: microSD UHS-I U3 (not included)
• Orientation: Gyroscope + accelerometer
• Battery type: Integrated lithium ion
• Battery life: ~200 photos
• Weight: 3.8oz (108g)
• Dimensions: 67.5 x 48.85 x 26.25 mm
• Compatible with: iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad (4th gen), iOS 8 or later.